Friday 6 May 2011

RECON


So far I have spent an hour investigating the sort of things I might find useful/essential on the trip. Other than a horse, there are items such as saddle bags, weighted gel pads, electric fencing, high lines, low lines and spare reins. Perhaps rather than looking in the high performance endurance competition sites I might be better advised to look for advice from a tinker. Move, Eat, Sleep That is the mantra. I know there will be a few pieces of serious kit required because I am a gadget junkie and a virgoan packing fascist, also very tempting in a travelling companion I am sure!

I have been researching gypsy caravans, which are comfy, traditional and secure. All great words for describing staying at home and not going on an adventure! In true business planning style, I pretty much owe Business Link, the free government support business planning training service, an empire after the amount of courses I did. I am sure they will be delighted to hear I am planning to use the strategising for success planning model to work out what to take on a camping holiday.
So key words include, freedom, flexibility and comfort.... and safety. The robbery was not that long ago.

So that sounds to me like I should be travelling light, be prepared for different terrains and have a very comfy sleeping set up. This obviously applies to both Horse and Dog. I would not be expecting them to pack for themselves.

I wonder if horse has any inkling that one day a borderline bi-polar overweight woman will be asking it to carry her around the whole country. It is going to need to be a special horse. A strong friendly beast, a bit like the BFG. I knew a horse called Prince once, he was a shire horse. His feet were as big as plates. Weirdly when he stood on your foot it hurt less than eddie. Possibly a physics question but more likely a stubborn shetland thing.

SO another question is, does this rite of passage need to be conducted solo? I have friends who would probably love to hitch for a while, and in the spirit of adventure is there anything to say that they should be on horseback? No. Kayak, Bike, Foot or even car!


Here is a list of some of the questions that have strolled past my consciousness this morning....
What if I need the loo in a busy town centre, what will I do with Dog and Horse? No idea.
How will I wash my clothes, and self?
Will it be possible to swim in rivers?
Will there be bandits? There was an english teacher at my school and she was stabbed in the middle of the yorkshire moors by her walking companion, perhaps I should re-think letting people tag along.
What will we eat? Mainly worried about horse and dog for this. I am reasonably confident I can find grub.
How much grass do horses need each day?
Can dogs eat grass?
Can dog carry her own food.
How much water should we have on board?
Should I be taking two horses, and a support team, and a mobile home?
Where do you park a horse in the supermarket car park?
Where do you park a horse in the pub?
Should there be rules about how many if any nights spent with a roof over my head?
What if we all contract crippling diarrhoea?

So in order to maximise my chances of success I am now going to visualise my ideal day on the trip. ….
Wake up refreshed, have a wash in the stream, bacon and eggs on the camp stove. Clean kit and pack up self. Healthcheck all team members, Tack up BFG and feed Maggie. Look at map, apply suntan lotion and put on hat. Check rations and plan supply pick up.
Ride for several hours, pass beautiful spots, valleys, hill tops, light breezes. Stop for a cup of coffee, draw landscape... and take a photo incase true beauty not captured fully in biro scribble.
Swim in a lake. Ride for two more hours stop set up camp, play guitar (nb learn guitar before trip) ((nnb. Learn ukele as BFG might think guitar is a bit cheeky)).

No comments:

Post a Comment