Friday 6 May 2011

5 Things TO DO before you DIE

It began with a game of five things.... five things to do before you die. Build a house, trekking in Nepal, Visit the Shetland Isles, cannot remember one but the key one, ride a horse around the uk.

Inspired by the bloke that travelled hundreds of miles to visit his brother on a lawnmower in the states, The Straight Story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pKEI-Sv-8. What appeals to me about the notion of travelling around the UK on horseback is fact that unlike bicycle or car, horseback is a steadier pace, I could walk but I am intrinsically lazy. I am fairly sure I will be walking lots of the way anyway!

I have never attempted an epic journey but now feels like the right time to start planning one. In the future I might have kids or be busy building my house, or I might just die and seeing as I now have to do it before I die... perhaps now is as good a time as any, seeing as I am not actually dead.
I should add now that I am not a great rider. I am terrified of jumping, I look hideous in jodphurs, pony club camp was not a bonding experience for me. I love horses they are generally gentle friendly creatures who like being outdoors and that sounds like a good travelling companion to me. I should also make it clear that all things being well my dog Maggie May will also be tagging along.

So what is the point, the why of the plan. I love being outdoors, I like cooking on a campfire, I like to occasionally operate outside of modern day lifestyle constructs. I want to go on an adventure, one that requires endurance, adaptability, demands innovation and tests my resilience.

My hackney community project was robbed last year. I ran a small but lively acupuncture clinic that offered low cost treatment. A man walked in with a story about being a recovering heroin addict and out with the contents of the till. Ever since then I have felt less gutsy and outdoor escapes help me to regain a sense of my self and my tenacity.

I have no idea where to start with planning my trip a few things to note are... I don't actually have a horse, I have never camped with a horse and a dog, I have a history of back pain and a tendency to whinge. So while I know I do not sound like an ideal travel companion I am reasonably sure there will be a lot of laughing and some very intresting moments.

I grew up on a farm in warwickshire. I had a pony, his name was Eddie. He was a welsh mountain crossed with a shetland. He was made of stronger stuff than anyone I ever met and he lived on top on the dung heap. He was a palamino piebald. He used to be the pack pony for my mums riding holiday business. My brothers used to tell me that pritstick was made from ponies' hooves. They called it Eddystick.

I can ride, just not fast down hill or over jumps. I don't remember learning how. I have had some lessons but by and large I think I find a sort of middle ground with a horse and hope we will get on ok. I have no idea how I am going to find THE horse for the trip. I have a slight leaning towards a heavier horse but that is largely because I am generously proportioned, maybe not fat but heavier!

No comments:

Post a Comment